VANCOUVER—Merran Smith, executive director of Clean Energy Canada, made the following statement in response to the B.C. NDP and B.C. Green Party announcement regarding their intent to cooperate in the legislature:
“It’s clear that British Columbians voted for change in this election and support the NDP and Greens’ objectives: building a clean economy and putting climate solutions into action.
“This unprecedented cooperation between the B.C. NDP and the Green Party holds great promise. Both parties advanced substantive ideas and policies that would make British Columbia stronger—socially, environmentally and economically.
“We would look forward to working with a B.C. NDP government, supported by the B.C. Greens, to create the conditions for clean growth that benefits all British Columbians.”
The B.C. NDP and B.C. Greens’ respective platforms both highlighted:
- Building a clean economy – Both parties see the economic and societal opportunity in emerging sectors like clean technology, clean energy and reducing the impact of traditional resource sectors.
- Setting targets – Both parties agree on a 40% greenhouse gas pollution reduction target by 2030, from 2007 levels.
- Increasing the carbon tax – Both parties agree that the carbon tax should increase, although at different rates.
- Implementing smart regulations – Both parties agree on a mix of smart regulations for buildings and vehicles to complement the carbon tax.
- Ensuring an affordable transition – Both parties support making the transition to a sustainable economy affordable for British Columbians.